We hope to keep you updated each week
- Hours worked Tuesday: 22 Thanks to volunteers Mark, Bruce, Lance, Judy Ruth and Richard
- Hours worked Wednesday: 13 Thanks to Bruce, Lance, Paula, Alison and Vallerie. Pam was there on Wednesday for an orientation and she took some pictures. See pictures below.
- Hours worked Friday: 22. Thanks to Bruce, Lance, Pam, Lani, and six Mormon missionaries, Jarman, Kus, Johnson and Mitchell
Crops harvested for Open Heart Kitchen: Mustard, lettuce, Kale, Broccoli, Collards, beets and parsnips.
- Work party double-dug bed L1 mulched fallow rows and moved soil to new hilled beds on L9, and weeded east of Bed F2.
- Harvested 3-wheelbarrows (18 cubic feet) of Fava plants from Bed B6 and applied one wheelbarrow to Northern compost pile. Favas were heavily infested with black fly aphid. Late February may have been a better harvest time for the Fava cover crop.
- Fava Beans were full of lady bugs, eggs and larvae. (see below)
- The most important activity of the day was fielding questions from the volunteers. Never give up an opportunity to spread the wealth of information on gardening.
- Hand watered carrots and radishes on Beds A2, A3 and A4.
- AG-19 cloth results are impressive. The radishes under cover are 2 to 3 times larger than the uncovered plants. The carrots started germinating about a week after beds were covered. Cover was removed to water a few times and twice we simply watered on top of the row cover soaking the soil and plants underneath. Row cover was held down at the sides with long wood poles.